- Fraction Tiles
- What is a Fraction?
- Equal Fractions
- Adding Fractions with Common Denominators
- Mixed Numbers and Fractions
- Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators
- Subtracting Mixed Numbers
- Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- Simplifying before Multiplying Fractions
- Multiplicative Inverse / Reciprocal
- Dividing Fractions
- Dividing Fractions by Dividing Across
- Return to Arithmetic Menu
By simplifying fractions before multiplying, we make the multiplication easer and leave the answer in its simplest form. Some people refer to this as pre-reducing, cross-reducing, or canceling. Whatever you call it, it’s a shortcut.
Simplifying Fractions Before Multiplying
You can save time and effort by simplifying fractions before multiplying.